Cardio pulmonary Exercise test
With our cardiopulmonary exercise tests we ensure that you can exercise safely and get the most out of exercise
Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test
A cardiopulmonary exercise test (CPET) is the all-in-one assessment that allows an in-depth, comprehensive overview of how the heart, lungs, muscles and various other bodily systems respond to exercise. This is the most comprehensive and important exercise assessment for people living with chronic disease. This assessment also allows us to create tailor made and safe exercise programs so you can get the best out of life.
Why undergo a cardiopulmonary exercise test?
- Investigate the cause of shortness of breath
- Help a doctor/specialist treat your condition
- Screen for cardiovascular disease or heart conditions
- Assess your pacemaker
- Monitor your chronic disease
- Help you to return to activity and exercise after heart surgery
What does the test involve?
- A CPET is a graded exercise test completed on either an exercise bike or treadmill. A graded exercise test is where the exercise begins light and progressively becomes harder throughout.
- During the assessment you will be monitored through a gas analysis mask and a 12-lead electrocardiogram (ECG). These measurements give us the most comprehensive understanding of how your body works during exercise.
- The test is stopped when you choose to or when the exercise physiologist identifies you have reached a termination point.
What do I get out of a cardiopulmonary exercise test?
You and your referring health professional receive a detailed report that includes:
- Maximal exercise capacity (including heart rate, blood pressure and VO2 max)
- Heart and lung response to exercise
- Any abnormalities identified
- Anaerobic threshold
- Recommended exercise zones
- Graphs of test performance
How to book an assessment
We take bookings via the phone for our cardiopulmonary exercise tests.
Give us a call on 0401 320 430.